Monday, June 10, 2013

Week 1 - Recap

Week one of training has come and gone and I am happy to say it went pretty darn well.

Here's my week in review:
Monday - Rest day... or in my case, work a 12-hour shift
Tuesday - 3 mile run
Thursday - 5 mile pace run
Friday - 3 mile run
Saturday - 8 mile long run
Sunday - Cross-train... or rather, attend my Godson's baptism (eating cake counts as aerobic activity!)


While I dreaded the long run the most, it was surprisingly enjoyable.  With no worry of pace or time, and only a distance in mind, I found the run freeing.  For one hour and sixteen minutes, the only sounds were my feet hitting the pavement, Sugarland playing through my ear buds, and the thoughts running through my head.

I ran on the country roads near my parents' house - the same roads that have watched me grow up over the years.  The first time I ran that route, I was home from college and looking for a way to ease the summer boredom.  I could barely make it a mile without walking and my biggest worries were graduating from college and if I'd ever find a boy.  Fast forward to today, I'm training for a marathon, a registered nurse, and engaged to the man of my dreams.  Crazy.

Unfortunately, the eight miles didn't come without a few challenges.  Around mile four I could feel a discomfort in the ball of my left foot.  By the time I got back to my parents' house, the "discomfort" had turned into a nasty blister.  The blister has forced me to walk on the side of my foot for the past two days and I have never been more thankful for Band-Aids!  The other challenge I had was stomach cramps at mile seven.  I was fortunate I only had one more mile to go and that I was close to home, but I hope that doesn't happen ever again.

Alas, one week is down... 17 more to go! 

1 comment:

  1. proud of you girl....keep on rockin, keep on truckin :)

    ReplyDelete