Saturday, October 5, 2013

It's the final count down!

Less than 24 hours away from the marathon and... I am FREAKING OUT! Instead of being "cool as a cucumber," I'm more like a squirrel on acid. My heart is racing, my hands are shaking, and I can't concentrate. I'm sure the pot of coffee I drank doesn't help either.

For those of you requesting a picture of what I'll be wearing tomorrow, here you go!

So how exactly am I going to run 26.2 miles?...
1.  I have my clothes laid out, my bib pinned (I'm #2974...in case you're wondering), after-race bag packed, shoes by the door, watch and iPod charged, Skratch set out, fuel belt loaded, coffee maker ready, and three alarms set (just in case!)  I know I'm going to have trouble sleeping tonight, but at least I won't lay awake  making a mental list of all the things I need to do in the morning. 

 2.  "Run with your heart."  This is the mantra I've used during training and what I'm sticking with for the marathon.  For those of you wondering, "What the heck is a mantra?"-  a mantra is sounds, syllables, words or groups of words that are repeated with the goal of creating a positive transformation; a sacred thought or a prayer.  I chose this mantra for a couple reasons:
     A. If you've ever practiced yoga, you've heard the phrase, "Open your heart."  It means expanding and opening the chest by pulling the shoulders down and back, slightly lifting the chin, and looking up.  When I do this, my posture improves and I end up running with my chest - or heart -  first. I find it helps me breathe easier and lengthens my stride.
     B. I know my legs will get tired, but the encouragement and inspiration I've received from my patients, family, friends, coworkers, and new acquaintances will bring me to the finish line.  
Their stories, memories, and words I hold dearly in my heart and I think of them often.  They are my angels and I know they'll be by my side every step of the way (and if I'm really lucky, they'll let me draft off of them.. :)  

3. Have faith!  I have been training for 18 weeks.  I have logged over 380 miles and 66 hours of running.  I have done everything I possibly can to be ready for tomorrow.  Now, I just need to take a deep breath and believe in myself. 

GOALS:
1. FINISH!  And let's be clear... not finishing, is NOT an option.  I am incredibly stubborn, so if I have to crawl my way to the finish line, so be it!  Being a first-timer, I do not care about my race time (or dignity, for that matter)... I just really want to cross that finish line. I can't wait to put that medal around my neck and know that I DID IT! 

2. ENJOY the experience.  This marathon is a celebration that caps off months of hard work training and fundraising for Cancer Research institute.  I'm really looking forward to seeing my family and friends in the crowd and hope seeing will give me a surge of energy.  Besides, research says smiling releases feel-good chemicals in the brain and it's really tough to stay in a bad mood when you're smiling.  :)

... see you tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment