Wednesday, October 2, 2013

MILE 23: Sandy Scott - Lung Cancer

Sandy Scott
December 18, 1960 - November 26, 2005
Sandy & Jessica
Sandy is the mother of my friend, Jessica. 

Jessica shared these words about her mom:
   
     When we first realized something was wrong with my mom, we were at my cousin’s wedding shower in Madison in February 2004.  At the party, she kept bumping into walls and other objects, but the real concern was when we were driving home.  We went to merge onto the highway and she didn’t see the car next to us and almost ended up hitting it.   When we got home we figured out that her peripheral vision was going.  It took a long 5 days and many different doctor appointments including:  eye doctor, primary doctor and finally an oncologist, but by the end of the week we finally had an answer that changed our lives forever.  
     We found out that my mom was diagnosed with lung cancer that metastasized to her brain and lymph nodes.  My mom had a cough for several months prior to losing her peripheral vision, but we thought nothing of it until she started losing her vision.  At that time, my mom was diagnosed at a stage 4 with 3 months to live (as I found out after my mom passed).  She fought hard having many treatments of chemotherapy and radiation, tried gamma-knife radiation, and MANY medications, but it finally took over 1 year and 9 months later.  She passed away on November 26, 2005.  
     The entire experience was life changing and completely new and expected for a teenager.  I tried to take everything in stride and help my mom out as much as I could because I had no idea how much time we had together.  Don’t get me wrong, I cried many nights thinking that my mom won’t be their when I graduate college, be by my side at my wedding, or give me the advice as I have my own children, but I knew I had to be her rock through all those tough times.  Since my mom has passed, my life has taken my turns and gone up and down my hills.  I have had times of great depression and sorrow, and times of great joy, but I can certainly say my mom has had a huge influence on who I am and who I want to be as I grow.  I know she is always with me and will guide me through my future journeys. 

Jessica chose Mile 23 for her mom, because:  "although you may 'hit the wall,' keep striding and pushing yourself to the finish (even though your mind may play tricks on you.) Nothing can stop you from pursuing your dream of finishing a marathon and helping many in the process - just like I will never stop pursuing my dreams after my mom passed away.  Just remember, you are going to have good and bad days of training and miles throughout the marathon, but each day/mile is a blessing, so use all of those inspiring individuals to push you through. God bless and good luck!"

Make a donation in memory of Sandy and others we have lost, those still fighting, and those who may one day be spared this fight because of what we‘re doing. 
Give to make yourself a part of this historical effort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment