Tuesday, September 10, 2013

MILE 1: Pediatric Cancer Patients

As I explained in an earlier blog post, "I Fought HIPAA... and HIPAA Won," hospital legalities stymied my wish of publicly honoring the patients who inspired Striding For a Cure.    Their strength, courage, and faith is what encouraged me to run a marathon and why I am so passionate about raising money to advance immunology therapy.  So, instead of naming specific patients, I am dedicating Mile 1 to ALL pediatric cancer patients - those currently fighting, those we have lost, those who have won, and those who have yet to start their fight. 

While I am usually chatty and witty (or so I like to believe), when it comes to talking about pediatric cancer and its victims, I am at a loss for words.  How do I describe to a stranger the pain I see in a mother's eye when her little girl's beautiful hair start to fall out?  Or how depressing it is when a child realizes he is dying, despite their parents' wish to keep that fact unspoken?  Or the betrayal I feel when I return to the cancer unit after a stretch of absence and am told of the patients who have recently passed, unbeknown to me. 

September is childhood cancer awareness.  Did you know that?  I'm willing to guess not.  One mother quipped, "You may not be the parent of a child with cancer.  Awareness may not be a big priority.  The day before my child was diagnosed, I wasn't a cancer parent either." I am sharing these videos with the hopes that:  1. You will learn something about childhood cancer and 2. You will be inspired take action.  The images and graphic and raw - but they are as honest as it gets.  In the first video, pay close attention to the facts.  The numbers do not lie.  In the second video, take not of their spirit.  Their resilience is what encourages me to keep writing... continue running... and persist in raising money for cancer research.





Make a donation in memory of those children we have lost, those still fighting, and those who may one day be spared this fight because of what we‘re doing. 
Give to make yourself a part of this historical effort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment