Monday, September 30, 2013

RACE DETAILS!

Marathon Information 
Race Details
The race starts at 7:30 am at Grafton High School. It ends at Veteran's Park in Milwaukee.
      - To view a simple map of the entire race route, click here

      - If you prefer to see a detailed course map, click here.

The Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon has provided a Spectator's Guide! If you have a question...it has the answer.
Runners LOVE spectators and are very appreciate that you dragged your butt out of bed at the crack of dawn in order to show your support. Signs and crazy outfits are highly encouraged - but really, just being there is special enough. Don't be shy when I run by!  Make your presence known.  I suggest you bring chairs or blankets, snacks, and a thermos of coffee. Heck, I will be running for at least four hours, so you could even grab breakfast in-between seeing me at the start of the race and the finish. :)

As for where to watch the marathon...
I e-mailed the race director, Jon Mueller, and told him about my my mission in running the marathon and hope in having a spectator represent someone with cancer at each mile. I asked, "Tell me - is that feasible? If so - HOW is that accomplished? If not - what are the best spots to view the runners?"

This was the response I received:
"While I admire your charitable efforts, it is not possible to have a spectator at each mile mark. Many sections of our course are not accessible to spectators at the request of the individual communities that we run through. At least three of the communities:  Mequon, Bayside, and Fox Point, will not allow spectator parking at all along the course. My best advice is to study the information on the website, plan ahead for the best spots on the course that will serve the varying needs of the spectators who are coming to see you and then allow enough time for them to get to the finish to see you cross."

Given this information, please do not worry about being at the designated mile of your loved one. I do not want people to stress over parking or driving in Milwaukee. Instead, choose a spectator spot of your convenience and enjoy the experience. There are many maps available for your viewing and planning. They include:
      - Finish Area Spectator and Runner Parking Map
      - Detailed Finish Area Map
      - Downtown Map with Directions
      - Finish Area with Directions

I plan on running between a 10 and 11 minute mile.  Meaning, if you are waiting near mile 6, you can expect me to run past between 8:30 and 8:40. You can track me through Email or Facebook. Click the links to get instructions on how to sign-up. Updates will only be posted when I cross miles 7, 13.1, 20, and the finish. Therefore, I suggest being in contact with other spectators coming to cheer me on in order to keep a close track of where I am throughout the race route.  If you are my Facebook friend - post to my wall when and where you see me!  If you are not my Facebook friend, add me :)  If you already have your spectator spot chosen, please leave a comment as to where you will be.  Ideally, I would like to have my spectators spread out along the race route and leaving a comment will help others plan accordingly.

...and then, we CELEBRATE!
I would really love to see you ALL at the finish line.  Your stories, your donations, and your support turned my dream into a reality.  Together we have increased cancer awareness and raised money to find a cure for cancer.  After the marathon, let's celebrate our accomplishments!  Join me at Water Street Brewery in Grafton to sit, relax, watch the Packer game, and enjoy some food and beverages.  

No comments:

Post a Comment