Monday, September 30, 2013

MILE 21: Ellen Berenz - Breast Cancer

Ellen Berenz
July 21, 1925 - April 1962

Ellen is the mother of my aunt and Godmother, Judy.

This is Ellen's story, told by Judy:
     
     My mother, Ellen Vorpahl Berenz, died of breast cancer in April of 1962.  I was 8 years old and don’t know many details. In 1961, she first saw symptoms when she was breastfeeding and was treated for clogged milk duct.  Later, it was diagnosed as breast cancer.  She had both breasts removed and then radiation every day.  I don’t know how long she had radiation, but I know she went to Dr. Tasch in Sheboygan.  I remember her sleeping in a hospital bed in our dining room.  I also remember the morning my grandmother woke us up and told us we didn’t have to go to school.  My dad sat all four of us kids down and told us Mom had gone to heaven.  
     Times were hard and I remember my dad going bankrupt.  We lost everything in our duplex and he had to start over.  Thankfully, relatives bought back some of the furniture and appliances. 
     Times have changed.  There is so much more knowledge about cancer now.  New treatments and natural remedies.  I pray for the day that there is a cure!  

Judy added, "Good luck and God bless!!"   

Ellen will represent Mile 21 for her birthday, July 21st. 

Make a donation in memory of Ellen and others we have lost, those still fighting, and those who may one day be spared this fight because of what we‘re doing. 
Give to make yourself a part of this historical effort. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Andrea for helping to keep Grandma Ellen's memory going! This is the first picture I've ever seen of her!! I've also never heard the story of her passing. I will be donating for sure!! Thank you!! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete