Wednesday, September 11, 2013

MILE 2: Wanda Buettner - Breast Cancer

Wanda Buettner
1st Row (from left to right):  Roxanne Bengel, Wanda Buettner
2nd Row:  Delores Prochnow, Barbara Bengel, and Rudy Oaks
Wanda and her husband, Randy, are friends of my parents. 

Wanda's story, in her own words:  
     
     My cancer story started out with a routine mammogram.  I have had mammograms every year since I turned 40 and each year I would have to go back because evidently I have "dense" breasts.  Let's hope that's the only thing on me that is dense!!  I was to a point of ignoring the calls to come back for additional views, etc.  However, I did follow through and went back.  This time I was not so lucky.  I was diagnosed with breast cancer on May 14, 2012.  I was actually at a funeral when the clinic called.  I was in total shock.  I just kept walking with my husband listening to the gal on the other end of the phone and I remember just feeling numb.  I was hearing her, but not really taking it all in.  I couldn't believe it. 
     Three days later I met with the surgeon.  I had my lumpectomy on our 9th wedding anniversary.  How romantic?!?!?  My husband never left my side.  He truly was my rock throughout the entire process.  I was lucky that the cancer had not spread to my lymph nodes.
     The tumor was tested and it was determined that I needed chemotherapy and radiation.  I have to say I was praying I would NOT need chemo.  I was actually in a "gray" area, but the doctors thought it best to do 4 rounds of chemo.  My first chemo was on July 13.  My mom happened to be laid off on Fridays the month of July.  I called and asked her if I was being a big baby asking her to go with me.......   She said of course not!!  You are NEVER too old to want your mommy!!!  My friends all had it planned who was going with me to each chemo.  I really wanted to go by myself, but that was not an option.   I cried for days after learning the news that I would lose my hair.  You know - I am not a vein person, but I meet strangers every day for my job.  I couldn't imagine going out in public without hair.  It truly is DEVASTATING. I was told by my second chemo (3 weeks out) I would lose my hair.  It lasted until July 29 when I had my head shaved.  Again... crying.  Then it was screw this - I am not hiding away at home.  I wore hats and bandannas throughout.
     I have to say - I kept a positive attitude and only missed 4 days of work, and those were my chemo days.  The fourth round of chemo really kicked my butt.  I could not even walk up a flight of stairs without stopping to rest.  I was ecstatic it was done.  I was given 4 weeks to rest up and then it was on to radiation.  I was warned radiation would make me tired.  I couldn't imagine being any more tired than I already was.
     Radiation lasted through the end of November.  I was so glad when that was over as well.  I was thinking - yeah now I can rest. NOT SO MUCH.  Then it was more rounds of doctor appointments throughout December.
     I am now on a drug for 5 years to suppress hormones.  I am almost one year into that.  Other than more hot flashes and night sweats - it's not too bad.  I hate taking meds, but you gotta do what you gotta do.


Keep living and enjoy each and every day!!  You never know what tomorrow holds.

My husband, family and friends were my strength.  I had a wall of courage - all the cards that were sent were unbelievable.   You never know how many people care until something like this happens.  Don't forget to take the time to just say hey - how are you doing!!

Wanda would like to dedicate Mile 2 to her Auntie B and Randy's mother, Ruth Buettner, who both passed away from lung cancer and share birthdays on May 2nd.

Make a donation in honor of Wanda and others still fighting, those we have lost, and those who may one day be spared this fight because of what we‘re doing. 
Give to make yourself a part of this historical effort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment