Saturday, September 14, 2013

MILE 5: Barb Bengel - Lung Cancer

Barb Bengel
May 2, 1951 - May 12, 2012

Barb and her husband, Mike, are my parent's camping friends. 

Barb's niece, Wanda, had these words to share:

     My aunt was first diagnosed with lung cancer when she went to the doctor for a cracked rib.  A friend of hers gave her a hug and it actually cracked her rib.  Thus the visit to the doctor.  They found the lung cancer.  Auntie B had surgery on August 25, 2009, to remove a portion of her lung.  Everything went well with the surgery and she was well on her way to recovery.  That lasted about for about a year or so, and then it came back.  Auntie B fought a courageous battle.  She went through many rounds of chemo and radiation and many, many drugs. She was truly a fighter.  
     Towards the end she was just sick of fighting.  The cancer took so much out of her.  She was the most wonderful person in the world.  Our entire family misses her.  She was always the glue that held our family together.  Auntie B was like a second mother to me, and she was always my "go to" gal.  Any time I needed to talk or a good cry Auntie B was there with an ear and a shoulder!!  She always made me smile or laugh til SHE peed her pants!!!!  She was one of a kind and is missed by many people.  
     The last day I went to see Auntie B - I had just had a biopsy on my breast.  I was worried sick about her and didn't even have time to think about me.  I was just happy to be able to spend time with her and remember her with a smile on her face.  She passed away two days later.  Two days after that I received the news that I had breast cancer.  
     The only thing I know is that dealing with cancer both personally and with family members is to enjoy each day as if it is your last.  Little things mean a lot!!! Take time to enjoy the people you are with and MAKE time for those you don't see often.

In honor of her birthday and death, which both occurred during the month of May, Barb will represent Mile 5

Make a donation in memory of Barb and others we have lost, those still fighting, and those who may one day be spared this fight because of what we‘re doing. 
Give to make yourself a part of this historical effort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment